A Shelter Friend is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization that facilitates the rescue of animals from county shelters in southeastern North Carolina. We believe that a world which shows empathy toward animals will show more compassion and tolerance toward each other.
What We Do
- We work to provide positive publicity and increase visibility of the Bladen County Animal Shelter to increase adoptions.
- We act as a liaison between the shelter and rescue groups nationwide, coordinating rescue efforts and assisting with the logistics, including veterinary care and transportation.
- We help reduce the number of homeless pets and pet deaths in shelters.
- We strive to improve community consciousness toward the creatures sharing our lives through regular newspaper columns on pet topics.
How We Do It
- We make extensive use of the internet and the phone to connect homeless and unwanted dogs and cats residing in the county’s animal shelters with rescue organizations and adoptive homes.
- We temporarily foster former shelter animals, especially puppies. By obtaining veterinary care and holding them in quarantine outside of the shelter, they can be safely transferred to an approved rescue group or a safe and loving home.
- We maintain a low-income spay/neuter program.